YOY [joi] is a Tokyo based design studio composed by Naoki Ono, a spatial designer, and Yuki Yamamoto, a product designer. Started in 2011, their design theme is to create a new story between space and objects.
Naoki Ono was born in Nagoya, 1981. He graduated in architectural design at Kyoto Institute of Technology in 2008.
Yuki Yamamoto was born in Nagoya, 1985. He graduated in industrial design at Kanazawa College of Art in 2008.
We got in touch with Naoki to ask these 10 big questions…
- Who would you invite to your dream designer dinner party? (Let’s call it your ‘innerparty’..)
Marcel Duchamp. I respect his works. And his birthday is same as mine 🙂
2. What is your favourite piece of architecture?
21st Museum of Contemporary Art,Kanazawa by SANNAA. This is the first contemporary architecture I visited after I started studying architecture at university.
3. What would you name as the most useful piece of tech?
4. If you could take any found object and make it into a lamp,what would it be?
5. What’s your favourite object from childhood?
6. What’s the funniest or weirdest thing a client has ever asked for or said in a meeting?
…I can’t think of any…
7. At innermost we are big fans of the Negroni.. What’s your favourite cocktail?
I don’t drink cocktails very often. I like beer:)
8. What’s the last thing you designed?
9. If you could choose your teachers at Fantasy College – who would you choose to be taught by?
Check out more inspirational work by YOY here.